Low libido affects men and women. it is when there is a decrease in the drive for sex which interferes with sexual activity. Low libido can put a strain on relationships over time. It can be treated by discovering the root cause.
Low libido is not the same as ED, but people can have both conditions at the same time. Both condition should be treated - which is why we take a cohesive approach to men's health and not just focus on one problem.
- Testosterone levels dip with aging and this impacts the sexual drive
- Depression is tough. In this case low libido can cause depression or depression can be the cause of a low libido.
- Certain medications (even over-the-counter) can have the averse effect of a low libido.
- Stress produces cortisol which is like an alarm system, it constricts the blood vessels which causes a drop in testosterone. Which is why we treat men's health hormonally as well.
- Chronic illnesses can have an impact on the drive for sex. Medications for these sicknesses could compound the problem.
- This could range from anything like smoking and obesity to substance abuse.